Learn more about Maldivian free check-in baggage allowance on all booking class, weight and size limits for a smoother check-in
Excess Baggage Rates
Below are the excess baggage rates for our routes information. The amount of excess baggage the airline accepts depends on the aircraft’s capacity.
Rates per Kg
Male’ to Hanimaadhoo/ Hoarafushi/ Kulhudhufushi/ Ifuru/ Funadhoo/ Kadhdhoo
Hanimaadhoo/ Hoarafushi/ Kulhudhufushi/ Ifuru/ Funadhoo/ Kadhdhoo to Male’
Male’ to Ifuru/ Maafaru/ Madivaru
Ifuru/ Maafaru/ Madivaru to Male’
Male’ to Dharavandhoo/ Thimarafushi
Dharavandhoo/ Thimarafushi to Male’
Male’ to Kooddoo/ Kaadedhdhoo/ Maavarulu/ Faresmaathodaa
Kooddoo/ Kaadedhdhoo/ Maavarulu/ Faresmaathodaa to Male’
Male’ to Fuvahmulah
Fuvahmulah to Male’
Male’ to Gan
Gan to Male’
Male’ to Cochin
Cochin to Male’
Male’ to Trivandrum
Trivandrum to Male’
Male’ to Dhaka
Dhaka to Male’
Male’ to Bangalore
Bangalore to Male’
Delayed & Damaged Baggage
In the event that you arrive at your destination without your checked baggage, please be assured that our staff will do everything possible to assist and have your baggage located as soon as possible and contact you to collect the baggage from your destination airport. If your checked baggage arrives damaged, you will need to report the damage immediately to our ground staff or the local GHA staff at the baggage claim area, before you leave the airport terminal. Our appointed agents will assess the damage and our Baggage Services agents will inform you if your baggage can be repaired.
If you are unable to locate your bag on arrival:
- Please approach our ground staff at the airport immediately. You will be asked to fill up a property irregularity report PIR to describe your bag in detail, together with your contact information and your address. Please note that your copy of the Property Irregularity Report does not constitute a claim. If you wish to claim for compensation (in the event your baggage is not located) you will need to appeal for a claim in writing, addressed to Maldivian Baggage Services within 7 days of your travel date. Island Aviations Services shall not be liable to missing baggage reported after leaving the arrival terminal.
- You should expect to receive a signed copy of your report.
- If there are any other issues, you may contact us at Maldivian Baggage Services
Maldivian Baggage Services
Velana International Airport,
Tel: +960 333 1300
Fax: +960 334 1567
When your bag is found
- Maldivian will notify you as soon as your baggage is located.
- You may collect your baggage from us at the respective airport.
If your bag is not found:
- In the unlikely event that your delayed bag is still not located after tracing period of 21 days, you will need to send a separate claim in writing, addressed to Maldivian Baggage Services within 7days of your travel date. Together with the claim you will need to provide the following:
- A copy of the property irregularity report made upon your arrival at destination airport.
- A copy of your passport (National ID for Maldivians can be accepted).
If your checked baggage arrives damaged, you will need to report the damage immediately with receipt of your bag at the arrival terminal. Our appointed agents will assess the damage in the presence of Maldivian Ground Staff and inform you if your bag can be repaired.
Who you should contact:
- If you are still in the airport, please approach our ground staff immediately
- A courtesy report may be created if the damage was reported after leaving the arrival terminal. Island Aviations Services shall not be liable to such damages reported after leaving the arrival terminal.
What information you will need to provide:
- Contact details
- Flight and baggage tag details
- Description/Evidence of the damage
On behalf of the Airline, Maldivian Ground Operation will close any case related to PIR, if the passenger does not respond with a claim within a period of 7 days.
All the claims related to damage baggage should be addressed to Maldivian Baggage Services in writing within a period of 7 days.
Maldivian Baggage Services
Velana International Airport
Tel: +960 333 1300
Fax: +960 334 1567
Additional baggage information
Maldivian is unable to accept liability for damages to baggage due to wear and tear, which includes the following:
- Minor cuts, scratches, scuffs, dents, dirt and stains
- Damage to wheels, feet or extending handles
- Damage to fragile or perishable items
- Damage due to over-packed baggage
- Damage due to leakage of any content inside the baggage
- Loss of external locks, pull straps, security straps or zipper tabs
- Baggage accepted under the conditions of the Limited Release Tag (LRT)
- Items confiscated by airport authorities or security
As a gentle reminder, if you have purchased a travel insurance policy to insure your recent travel, it is in your best interest to pursue a claim against your own Travel Insurance. These policies will almost certainly offer a higher level of cover. The Airlines liability is limited by the applicable Warsaw or Montreal Conventions (as amended from time to time), which imposes a very limited liability on Island Aviation.
Passengers should not include the following items in their checked baggage:
- Fragile and perishable items
- Computers and personal electronic devices
- Stored data
- Any medication or medical equipment
- Valuable documents such as business documents, passports, certificates, identification documents, negotiable papers etc.
Limited Release Baggage Tag
Maldivian will accept fragile, perishable, and inadequately-packed baggage upon completion of a Limited Release Baggage tag. Baggage with pre-existing damage shall likewise be accepted as a Limited Release Baggage.
The Limited Release Baggage Tag releases the airline from liabilities on baggage resulting from any pre-existing damage or unsuitability for transport.
What are our baggage liability limitations?
Island Aviation Services Limited’s liability is limited in accordance with the terms of Island Aviation Services Limited’s conditions of carriage for passenger and baggage, as well as the applicable Warsaw or Montreal Conventions (as amended from time to time) or any other applicable law or regulations, unless a higher value has been declared in advance and payment has been made for the additional relevant charges associated with the higher value declared.